This is a list of topics we considered while writing midterm questions. Not every item is covered on the exam.
- Commands including:
uniq(w/ and w/o
wc(w/ and w/o
- Absolute and relative paths
- Printing to stdout and stderr
- Output redirection, for both stdout and stderr, and to
- Variables, including arguments ($@, $1…) and $?
- Zero vs. non-zero return status
- And its relation to conditionals
- Basic loops and conditionals, and common unary and binary operators, as well as
- Pipelines of >= 4 parts
- Command substitution using
- Command separation with
- Cutting arbitrary fields with
-f. No ranges.
- Sort, both alphabetically, numerically, and in reverse
- Basic find with
grep, and replace with
set -eand basic scripting bits and bobs
- Permissions; especially execute permission.
tarusage including extraction
- Symbolic links
diff, checkout and